Our Whole Lives (O.W.L)
Introduction to the O.W.L. Philosophy
Our Whole Lives (O.W.L.) is a nationally renowned series of sexuality education curricula developed by the Unitarian Universalist Association in partnership with the United Church of Christ. O.W.L. helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior.
It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture.
Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, O.W.L. provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but helps participants to clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality.
OWL (Grades 7 & 8 )
Our Whole Lives (OWL) is the Unitarian Universalist Association’s acclaimed comprehensive sex education program. Led by trained facilitators, this program is typically held on Sunday afternoons for 7th-8th graders. Parents must attend a pre-orientation session prior to the commencement of classes.
This OWL is offered in alternate years. It will be offered again in 2018–19.
OWL (Grades 4-6)
This program for youth in grades 4-6 is a half-year program. It provides a safe and confidential space where emerging adolescents learn age-appropriate facts of sexual development and behavior. This course reinforces the values of self-worth and communication with parents. Parents must attend a pre-orientation session prior to the commencement of classes.
This OWL will be offered again in 2018-19.
Our Whole Lives Values:
- Self Worth
- Sexual Health
Each level of Our Whole Lives offers:
- Up-to-date information
- Honest age-appropriate answers to all participants’ questions
- Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
- Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
- Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
- Acceptance of diversity
- Encouragement to act for justice
- A well designed, teacher-friendly leaders’ guide
- Parent orientation programs that affirm parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious component for Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
For more information about OWL, visit this informational page on the UUA website: http://www.uua.org/re/owl/ .
Questions? Contact the Director of Religious Education, Aoife Barrington-Haber.
For more information on our Religious Education Program, visit the RE page.