Director of Religious Education
The First Universalist Society in Franklin, MA (FUSF) is seeking a three-quarters time
(30--32 hours per week) Director of Religious Education (DRE) to lead our religious
education program and to provide guidance, support, and organization for our volunteer
teaching teams. We are a vibrant, welcoming, and theologically diverse spiritual
community of approximately 350 adults and children with a history that stretches back
more than 150 years. Our community provides a supportive, nurturing family
environment in which we minister to each other under the caring and sensitive guidance
of our parish minister. Religious Education takes place in its own building wing. Our
worship services are spiritually uplifting, thought provoking, and characterized by music,
laughter, and sometimes tears. The selected DRE will be a prime contributor not only to
the spiritual health of our existing community but to its growth as well.
The position will start in July 2014 and the DRE will report to the parish minister.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience/education.
Our current RE program includes:
- Weekly RE classes. These are held concurrently with the Sunday morning service
and are for children from Pre-School to Grade 12.
- Sunday morning child care for infants and toddlers.
- Multi-generational services, including a Youth Service and a Winter Holiday
- Adult Religious Education Programs.
- Our Whole Lives (OWL) Program for grades 5 to 6 and grades 7 to 9, taught by
- Rights of Passage programs, such as Coming of Age Program for grades 9 and 10
and UU Journey for grades 3 and 4.
- Youth groups for children and youth, which run throughout the church year.
- Lead and grow the RE program, give guidance and support to the volunteers that
make up the teaching teams, be organized and enthusiastic and have a strong UU
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with both children and adults.
- Eager to attract new families and encourage adults to engage in lifelong learning
- Able and willing to give the “message for all ages” address to the whole
congregation during Sunday morning services.
Our church and offices are located at 262 Chestnut St, Franklin, MA 02038. For more
information about our congregation and a full job description please visit our website at
Interested applicants should send a full resume with a cover letter to email@example.com
No phone calls please.